Sunday 4 November 2012

Hello! An introduction....

Welcome to the first post from the MA in International Labour and Trade Union Studies at Ruskin College Oxford. 


This blog is a bit of a first. The first time both students and tutors have shared a blog specifically about the MA, and also linked to the MA's first foray into social media. You can now follow us on Twitter or Facebook

So what about the course? Well, it's pretty unique and is a proud part of Ruskin College's union history, and as this blog progresses we'll be discussing more about what the course covers. 

However this blog is also about the students, who they are, their experiences and why they've decided to give up 1 or 2 years of their lives to a pretty intensive course of study. It will also be an insight on what it's like to teach an MA but also study on one.

So here are a couple of the students and their thoughts on why they are here: 

Jon says: 

 
"I'm doing the course for a number of reasons. Obviously I'm more than a little interested in the whole area. I think the course will help me understand the theory of international trade union activity but surely that will also have an impact on how I work at a local level as a Branch Secretary in PCS.

I'm hoping to build some links and network with people in the field which will help in the running of the Southern and Eastern Region TUC (SERTUC)International Committee. I'm currently the Secretary to that body.

Understanding the changing nature of trade unions and their relationship with globalisation, markets and the state is going to be increasingly important for those who want to secure a fairer world.

I'm hoping to look closely at the way in which unions use new technology to advance their campaigning and recruitment aims. My interests in grass roots activism will hopefully tie in nicely with my studies. I am deeply impressed by how activists get information spread around the world so quickly. The very top of unions seem to move much more slowly in this regard and I think that's an important area to research. Can unions do anything to become faster at this? What do they need in order to produce similar results as activists?

Hopefully over the next 2 years I'll find some answers. It's going to be good fun working with such a great bunch of people. As well as having the help of the college and academic staff I think as students we will be learning a great deal from each other."

Jayne says: 


"With some trepidation I found myself enrolling in Ruskin College this weekend starting a MA in International Labour and Trade Union studies. 

Balancing a full time job and study is going to be a challenge, but there is never a right time for these things so I have taken the plunge in to academic madness.

Lucky for me, I have some hardy comrades joining me on this journey. One of the things I like most about the trade union movement is the absence (mostly) of bravado. Everyone was open about the fear and reservations they were having, it will be hard work, and we will all sacrifice something along the way. For me this course is not just about the learning, but also about personal development. So if I am not honest about where I am, I am learning nothing about myself. 

I am entering this experience with a completely open mind, I have not signed up with any plan on how I will use all I will gain. In fact if I am honest the opposite is true, I hope that this course will bring some direction in my professional life. 

The beauty of Ruskin is that I get to do this with a group of people that come from a range of backgrounds that cannot be found in your average college as Ruskin does not discriminate on academic background, but on your actual ability to complete the course. I could have gone anywhere to be lectured at and we can all learn from books, my education at my time at Ruskin will come from the people I meet and the discussions and debates I have along the way. Trust me, it’s going to be interesting"
           

We think it certainly is going to be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment